Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (Subclass 457) Sponsor Document Checklist
Why attaching supporting documents is important

You must provide documents to prove the claims you make in your application to become a sponsor. Your application might be decided solely on the basis of the information you provide when you lodge the application. Failure to provide all necessary documentation or to answer all questions on the application form fully and accurately might result in your application being assessed without us asking you for any further documents.

To lodge a complete application you should attach scanned copies of any associated original documents through your ImmiAccount as part of the online application process. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

Use this checklist to make sure your application is complete.

You must apply online by completing the eVisa application 1196Employer Sponsored Workers (e457)

General business registration documents

Australian Business Number (ABN) registration certificate (if you are an Australian-based employer).
Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN) registration certificate (if you are an overseas business registered to operate in Australia).
If you are an overseas business that is not already operating in Australia, you must provide evidence of registration in the country you operate in.
If your business has a registered business or trading name, a copy of the Business Names Details extract from Australian Securities and Investment Commission’s (ASIC) business name register.
If your business is a company, provide one of the following:
Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) company extract (listing registration details for the Australian Company Number)
Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) listing registration (if applicable).
If your business operates under a trust arrangement, provide relevant pages of the trust deed (pages listing parties to the trust and the signature page)
If you are a franchisee, provide the relevant pages of the franchise agreement (pages listing the parties to the agreement and the signature page).
If your business operates under a joint venture arrangement, provide relevant pages of the joint venture agreement (pages listing the parties to the joint venture and the signature page).

Documents to show you are lawfully operating a business

To show that your business is operating, you should provide the following documents, where relevant:
If you are a larger, established business which has been operating over a number of years: recent financial reports (profit and loss statements, annual report for the most recently concluded financial year).
If you are a recently established or small business: business tax returns for the most recently concluded financial year; recent business activity statements (BAS); recent bank statements.
New businesses can show they are operating by providing, at a minimum:
a detailed business plan with preferably:
contracts to provide services
business bank statements covering the period of operation
If any of these attachments are not provided, a statement should be included as to why they are not available.
Additional information that can be provided includes:
contract of sale relating to the purchase of the business, where settlement has occurred
lease agreement relating to business premises
evidence of employment of staff
business activity statements (BAS) for each complete quarter from commencement of operations to date of lodgement.

Documents to show your business meets training requirements

If you have traded in Australia for 12 months or more, provide documents to show that you meet one of the training benchmarks. Examples of documents include:
receipts for training expenditure for your employees who are Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents
payroll details (salary costs and numbers) for trainees and apprentices and evidence that a training contract exists
contracts with external training providers
receipts for contributions made to an Industry Training Fund (that is a statutory authority responsible for providing funding for training of workers in the same industry as the nominated occupation)
receipts for contributions made to a recognised scholarship fund operated by a university or TAFE college.

Important: The above documents must cover the same 12 month period (for example, payroll and expenditure periods must match). Under policy, this period should be the 12 month period prior to lodgement of your application. Where this is not possible, evidence from the most recent financial year (1 July – 30 June) can be provided. In this case, however, you should clearly identify the period you are using in your application and explain why.

If you have traded in Australia for less than 12 months, provide an auditable plan to show how you will meet one of the training benchmarks, including:
the forecast payroll for the next 12 months
the intended expenditure towards either training benchmark
how you will implement the plan.

Note: If you are planning on training your Australian citizen and permanent resident employees for training benchmark B, clearly articulate the type and duration of training, and the estimated cost of delivering the training.
Additional documents for overseas businesses not currently operating in Australia

Provide documents to show your intention to set up a business in Australia or that you have a contractual obligation in Australia:
a company or business expansion plan
an agreement to enter into a joint venture
a contract between you and a party in Australia.

Contact information

If the information associated with your application needs to be updated, please do so through your ImmiAccount. The processing centre responsible for processing your application can be contacted through If you email this address please read the auto response to be advised of response timeframes and instances where a reply might not be available.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *