The Australian Graduate Visa or the Subclass 485 is a temporary visa valid for students who are graduates of an Australian institute. After completing certain studies, they can already stay in this country to study, further their education, or work temporarily in Australia. The Australian Graduate Visa has two streams which the students can apply for. These include the Graduate Work Stream, and the Post-Study Work Stream. To get the said visa, it is a must for them to obtain and complete the requirements for each stream.
If you are interested to obtain the Australian Graduate Visa, you may do so as long as you are not over 50 years of age and you are an eligible visa holder. Additionally, your qualification must be related to a job on the list that’s considered as a skilled occupation, under the Graduate Work Stream, or must have acquired the Post-Study Work Stream. One of the privileges this visa can give is that, it allows you to gain work experience in your area of study. More so, with the Subclass 485, you can stay in Australia for a particular time you are qualified for. You can study and work for unlimited hours too, and have multiple trips to, and from this country.
Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485
The graduate students, who have recently completed any of their graduation courses with the necessary qualification and skillset which are applicable to the requirements and necessities of the Australian jobs, now have the option of applying a visa for the country of Australia through the visa category subclass 485, better known as the temporary graduate visa Subclass 485.
The main pre-existing condition of this visa is that the students who are applying for this visa must have completed any graduation course spanning a minimum of 2 years. Depending on the status or the suitability of the student applying for this particular visa, the validity of this visa could range anywhere from a minimum of 18 months to a maximum of 4 years.
The visa subclass 485 ensures that the applicant can work or study further in Australia after they have completed the course they have enrolled in. The visa is divided into two sub-categories; one of which is called the Post-study work stream whose validity can range from 2 to 4 years and the other is called Graduate work stream, which remains valid for 18 months. There are several rules, regulations, and other technicalities that are needed to be fulfilled before the application can be made. Contacting the proper and experienced agent assisting in migration can be helpful in understanding the benefits of applying and getting access to this particular visa subclass.
What This Visa Subclass 485 Allows You To Do In Australia?
In short, there are certain benefits that the holder of Visa Subclass 485 can enjoy after they have completed a 2-year spanning course registered under CRICOS in Australia. Both streams of this visa allow the holder the right to travel, stay, study, and work in Australia on a temporary basis. The concise benefits of the Subclass 485 Visa, essentially a temporary residence visa are tabulated under the list provided below:
- The holder of this visa can work, stay, and travel to and fro from Australia without any limitation.
- On this visa, the holder can further apply to bring their eligible family members to Australia as dependents on their visa.
- The individuals under this visa who have completed a post-graduate level study can have a stay of 2 to 4 years according to their classifications. Their stay can be tabulated as follows:
- 2 years – Bachelor Degree, Bachelor Degree with Honours, Masters by Coursework Degree or Masters (extended) Degree
- 3 years – Masters by Research Degree
- 4 years – Doctoral Degree
English Requirement For Australian Graduate Visa 485
The student must meet the requirements and accomplish the required marks for graduate visa 485 in any one of the below-mentioned exams for testing their proficiency in the English language. The obligatory results and position to go for the Subclass 485 Visa are provided below:
|Test for English||Lowest overall Score||Total overall score||Minimum scores for English test components||Minimum scores for English test components||Minimum scores for English test components|
|Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) (taken on or after 1 January 2015||169||–||154||154||154|
In addition to these documents, the applicant may have to provide documentary proof of the citizenship of the United States of America, the Republic of Ireland, Canada, or New Zealand. The scores must be achieved within 3 years before applying.
Temporary Graduate Visa 485 Eligibility Criteria
To get selected for the Visa Subclass 485 and attain the benefits and assistance that come with the said subclass, there are some rules and regulation that the applicant will have to abide by before he or she considers applying for the same. Without the fulfillment of these 485 visa eligibility, there is a chance that the applicant may not receive the visa. The points are:
The age of the applicant must be under 50 years at the time of application.
Validity Of Course
The applicant must have been recently qualified to a course that is registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students, or CRICOS.
The duration of the course must be at least 2 years. Any course lesser than the stipulated time disqualify the candidate from applying for the visa.
The candidate must qualify for an appropriate visa.
The person applying for this visa must be examined for the particular skill that is appropriate for a job in the skilled occupation list.
The applicant must hold health insurance for the entirety of his or her stay in the country.
The health insurance provider must be a recognized one and Australian.
485 Visa Checklist
Before applying for the visa, the applicants must discuss their 485 visa checklist to guarantee suitable submission. The 485 visa conditions which must be achieved for students to enroll themselves in a full-time course in Australia under CRICOS registration are listed below:
- The Temporary Graduate Visa subclass 485 can be held by any individual who holds a valid visa.
- The applicant must have completed a course under the approved list of CRICOS.
- The course completed must be of a duration of more than two years.
- According to the job needs and circumstances, the visa can allow its bearer to stay in Australia for 18 months to 4 years.
- The required documents like the Passport sized photo, Passport bio-data page, birth certificates, etc. must be produced by the applicant as and when required by the customs official.
What Is Australia Temporary Graduate 485 Visa Processing Time?
The short-term 485 visa processing time differs in different aspects, including the course chosen. The fees should be settled along with the application otherwise the application will not get processed and 485 dependent visa processing time will continue to extend. The processing times for this visa are given below:
|Visa Type||75% of applications processed in||90% of applications processed in|
|Graduate work stream||5 Months||7 Months|
|Post-study Work Stream||5 Months||11 Months|
Our authorities in the student visa subclass 485 can help in the immigration of the job holder after completion of their courses in Australia. Get in touch the appropriate Migration Agent for more facts and figures.
What are the different kinds of Temporary Graduate Subclass 485 visa?
There are mainly two kinds of visa under this category, the graduate work stream, and the Post-study work stream. The visa mainly differentiates in their period of validity, where the graduate work stream allows for 18 months of visa, and the post-study work stream allows for 2 to 4 years of stay, according to the qualification of the applicant. The applicants should also have a skillset that is approved by an appropriate Australian authority.
How do I qualify for the Graduate Work Stream?
The different guidelines that are necessary for an applicant to apply for this specific stream can be stated as:
- An occupation has to be nominated on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).
- The visa application must include evidence that the applicant had applied for a skills assessment for his or her nominated skilled occupation by a relevant assessing authority.
- The relevant assessing authority must asses your nomination as suitable for your nominated skilled occupation.
- The applicant has met the Australian study requisite in the past six months
- Every diploma, degree or trade qualification for the Australian study requisite is related to your nominated skilled occupation.
What is the validity period?
The visa validity can range from 18 months to up to 4 years depending upon the stream applied for.
What Is The Cost And Process Duration For This Visa Subclass 485?
This visa costs AUD1,650.
- For the Graduate Work stream, application process takes 4-5 months.
- For the Post-Study Work stream, application process takes 83 days – 5 months.