GRE stands for Graduate Record Examinations. It is a standardised aptitude exam with a pre-defined syllabus. It is one of the most widely accepted admissions tests for graduate and business school programs, and is used for admissions decisions for MBA, specialized master’s in business and doctoral programs.
GRE is divided into two categories. The GRE General Test that measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking and analytical writing skills – the types of skills required for success in today’s demanding graduate and business school programs – and the GRE Subject Tests that measures knowledge of a particular field of study helping students stand out from other applicants by emphasizing their knowledge and skill level in a specific area.
Preparation is key to getting a good score in the GRE. Investing time and effort in preparing for the exam is a critical element in the test taking strategy. The Indoz Academy offers quality GRE coaching that ensures students get the best possible preparation. Here are just a few of the reasons why students should choose to prepare for their GRE with The Indoz Academy:
- One of the largest and most successful global education companies in India with 21 years of experience in assisting students make informed decisions about their futures and guiding them about their education options both in India and overseas.
- Vast experience in providing quality test preparation programmes for some of the most common standardized tests worldwide having helped several thousand students every year to successfully achieve their desired test scores.
- Experienced, qualified and professional faculty drawn from some of the most elite institutions in India all of whom have undergone a rigorous training schedule and who are subject to a regular and thorough evaluation process to ensure that their subject knowledge and teaching practices continue to be amongst the best in the industry.
- Thorough understanding of university entry requirements and admission processes worldwide with a vast network of partner institutions across the globe where thousands of students are placed annually having successfully achieved their desired test scores.
- Flexible and convenient schedules that suit students’ needs and requirements with small batch sizes that allows for personalized attention to ensure that every individual establishes realistic goals for score improvement, understands the key test concepts and is given comprehensive guidance on effective test taking strategies.
In addition, The Indoz Academy also offers all its students a comprehensive 5 Point Study Plan built around their needs and requirements. Students enrolling for GRE test preparation with The Indoz Academy will benefit from the ability to:
- take a demo class before enrolling
- monitor progress through personalized review sessions after class hours
- improve test scores through extra tutoring and result orientated strategies
- enhance aptitude levels through customized question pools and strategic quiz tools
- revise from question banks that mirror the test exam
The Indoz Academy GRE coaching centres adopt a number of powerful preparation methods:
Content: The Indoz Academy uses the most relevant and frequently tested content helping its students to fully familiarise themselves with the GRE and to organise their time in an effective manner to achieve the best scores.
Critical Thinking Strategies: Realising that standardised tests rely on more than just the content, The Indoz Academy constantly updates and customises its study and reference material, along with practice test papers, to ensure that it is addressing students’ specific areas of concern. A personalised report which identifies areas of weaknesses and strengths is generated to help the student identify his or her testing patterns and work in a focused manner. All answer explanations are detailed and provide alternative approaches to answer a question. The Indoz Academy result-oriented strategies enable students to increase both speed and accuracy.
Essential Practice: The Indoz Academy collection of practice tests, other than basic content and timed drills, follow the same structure of the actual GRE. The realistic practice and extensive training, as well as test day tips and exam strategies provided by expert instructors, enhance students’ confidence in preparation for the actual test.
No Time Constraints: The Indoz Academy classroom training programme lasts two months with an additional four months given to the student to use its centre resources. The class schedule is divided into modules, each of which concentrates on the topics tested on the GRE. Though two months of training is recommended, students may opt to complete the course faster or slower according to their needs. A combination of attending both weekday and weekend classes allows students to prepare for the GRE faster if necessary.
The GRE is a multiple-choice, multi-stage test that measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking and analytical writing skills. It has been designed in a way so as to calculate the student’s intellectual and logical abilities, adapting to performance of students based on previous quantitative/verbal ability sections. The test allows its takers to skip questions within a section, go back and change answers and have the flexibility to choose which questions within a section they want to answer first.
The GRE question types are designed to closely reflect the kind of thinking that students will be expected to do in graduate or business school and are based upon the following skills:
- Verbal Reasoning – This section measures a student’s ability to analyze and evaluate written material and to synthesize information obtained from it. It measures the ability to analyze relationships among component parts of sentences and recognize relationships among concepts and words.
- Quantitative Reasoning – This section measures a student’s problem-solving ability and focusses on basic concepts of algebra, arithmetic, data analysis and geometry.
- Analytical Writing – This section measures analytical writing skills and critical thinking. It specifically measure’s a student’s ability to articulate and support ideas that are complex in nature both clearly and effectively.
Structure of the GRE General Test
|Section||Number of Questions||Time|
|Analytical Writing Assessment (One section with two separately timed tasks)||‘Analysis of an Issue’ task and ‘Analysis of an argument’ task||30 minutes per task|
|Verbal Reasoning (Two sections)||20 questions per section||30 minutes per section|
|Quantitative Reasoning (Two sections)||20 questions per section||35 minutes per section|
The Analytical Writing section will always precede all other test sections. The Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning and Experimental Section (the latter of which is not scored but which can be either Verbal or Quantitative) may appear in any order. An identified Research Section that is not scored may also be included in the test, but will always appear at the end.
GRE General Test Scoring Methodology
|Verbal Reasoning||130 – 170 scale, in 1 point increments|
|Quantitative Reasoning||130 – 170 scale, in 1 point increments|
|Analytical Writing||0-6 score level, in half-point increments|
The Indoz Academy 10 key insights into the GRE:
- The GRE selects questions in groups, or stages meaning that it is critical to perform well section by section rather than question by question.
- The difficulty of questions is governed by performance in the preceding section. Difficulty levels therefore alter in accordance with the student’s answers as they progress through the later section of the test.
- The first section is reflective of an ‘average’ difficulty level.
- The student has the provision to skip, navigate and return, and change their responses within a section. However, once they finish with a section, they cannot return to it.
- There is a ‘mark and review’ feature to mark questions the student may want to review later.
- The student will be scored on the basis of the number of questions answered, the number of correct answers and the difficulty level of the sections.
- The GRE can be taken once every 21 days, up to five times within any continuous 12-month period (365 days)
- Scores are valid for five years after the test date in which a student was tested.
- There is an on-screen calculator for use in the Quantitative Reasoning section to reduce the emphasis on computation and to ensure that the student focuses more attention on reasoning skills.
- There is emphasis within the test on the student’s knowledge of vocabulary through reading.
Indoz Academy - SCO12, 2nd Floor, Kalgidhar Enclave, Baltana, Zirakpur,
More than 50 hours of comprehensive program to master every concept of GRE
Mock Tests for real GRE experience.
Test taking tips and strategies for getting high scores.